Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Why Me?

For whatever reason I don't seem to be able to comment on anyone's profile, not even my own. I was going to respond to the comments on my last post but whenever I post a comment it just doesn't show up. Is there a way to fix this problem that anyone knows of? Well, if not I just want to say thanks for the comments on my last post, they're really motivating.

So this week was the start of mid-terms. I actually like mid-terms week, because it means we get out of school at 11:40 instead of 2:40 and it also means that I don't have to go to school on Friday because I'm a boss and I exempted both of the finals that I had that day.

Unfortunately, today was a stressful day because my Art and Photo teachers sprung horrible news on me. So, today when I finished my Photography final I went up to my teacher and she told me that the portfolio I planned on submitting to an art competition wouldn't qualify. The problem was that the work I had was technically mixed media (which means I used a bunch of different things like ink, paint, cutouts, pencil, etc. to make my composition). However, the pieces were in a journal, and to submit them I would have to cut them out of the journal, or submit the whole journal, neither of which I wanted to do. So my teacher and I had planned on scanning them and then printing the scans. The problem with this is that when I scan them they no longer become mixed media and instead they become a print. I couldn't really cut out my compositions because they were back to back, which means that some of them would be covered up/lost if I did so. My art teacher suggested I make a mobile (have them hang from the ceiling and submit it as a 3-D sculpture), but I hated that idea. If I presented it as a mobile, it means that I would have to submit it as a single piece rather than a portfolio. In the competition only portfolio's can make an applicant eligible for scholarships, and I want a scholarship.

Because of this I had to go home and make the executive decision to cut out the compositions, and use the ones I could, even though it meant that I would lose some of my pieces. Then I had to come up with two new pieces. So I got home at 12:30 and worked like crazy to get two new pieces done before 4:00 when my photo teacher said I had to have them into her by. I got there at 4:00 but she was gone. Luckily, my art teacher was there, and she told me I could just bring them in tomorrow. Kill me. (Here's an example of one of the pieces I made, so you can kind of get an idea of what I'm talking about.)

In better news, the new Vampire Weekend album came out yesterday. It's really good, although it did take some time to get used to because it's a bit different from their last album. Another thing I really like about them is that in addition to being really good musically, they're really stylish.




Definite style influences. One of these days, I'll stop being lazy and I'll start taking pictures of my own outfits and this can be a real style blog. One of these days...

1 comment:

  1. I checked out the link. The artwork looks very cool, Josh!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete